Until 2009, the centre of Yatton Keynell was dominated by Church Farm, a working dairy farm. As part of the redevelopment of the land into a stunning collection of traditionally-styled properties, an area was given to the village within which our wonderful market cross was erected. Constructed in 2010 from oak and Cotswold stone, it is the first traditional market cross to be built in Wiltshire since the 1800s.
The Market Cross can be booked by local groups or organisations. Make a booking enquiry.
In early summer 2011, two carvings were added to the oak beams of the Market Cross. One one side, the date of construction is picked out – “Yatton Keynell 2010”; on the other, a reference to the appearance of Yatton Keynell in the Domesday Book of 1086 – “Getone in the DB 1086”.
The village was mentioned in the Domesday Book as “Getone”. Its name moved through several variations of this and the “Keynell” appears to have been added some time in the thirteenth century after Henry Caynell, who had a holding in 1242.
The carvings were the brainchild of villager Mike Pickering and were undertaken by Rob Eyley of Woodcott Signs.
The lighting at the Market Cross was upgraded in 2011 with new perimeter lights, which replaced the previous rope light which had started to fail. In addition, the floodlights which illuminate the underside of the Market Cross roof have been changed.
Environmentally friendly, low-energy LED lights were selected to reduce running costs and heat generated whilst reducing the village’s carbon footprint. The existing floodlights consumed 400W between them whereas the new LED floodlights consume a total of just 20W – a 95% saving. The total consumption for the Market Cross is now only 100W and the products selected were chosen for their quality and longevity meaning that they will operate for many years without the need for maintenance or repair.
The Jubilee Stones
A set of granite stones were placed at the Market Cross in the centre of the village to commemorate Queen Elizabeth II’s Diamond Jubilee in 2012.
The Parish Council decided to record the changes to the village name from 1086 through the middle ages to the present and to cast those name changes and dates in stone placements around the perimeter of the Market Cross, culminating in a 14th last stone commemorating the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.