Telephone: 01249 782216
This 17th Century Inn is situated in the centre of the village close to the Post Office, village shop and 13th Century church. A popular village pub and restaurant near Chippenham, a wide range of beers, lagers and wines are available. The Bell Inn has acquired a fine reputation for its food. Lunches and dinners are served every day of the week from a comprehensive a la carte menu cooked to order from fresh locally supplied produce. Booking is advisable.
The Bell Inn had 17th century origins and is rendered with rubble stone and a stone tiled roof. It was originally an old farmhouse. Deeds of 1764 from a pub called ‘The Old Inn’ was otherwise known as ‘The Bell’ and consisted of outhouses, stables, a brew house, garden and orchard. In 1881 the proprietor was both a publican and a butcher.
There was a toll gate situated after the Bell Inn, just before the vicarage ,and it was manned by a toll gate keeper in 1871. Yatton Keynell was on the Tog Hill route, revived in 1751-2 when the road branching from it at the ‘Long Stone’ went through the village to Sodbury, Gloucestershire. The notice from the toll, indicating tariffs and conditions, can be seen inside The Bell Inn today.